Monday, April 2, 2012

Celebrate Mardi Gras!

One way to keep your students interested and excited about learning a language is to celebrate various holidays important to that culture in your classroom.  Not only that, but students do learn important cultural information as a result of doing this.   I typically celebrate different holidays in different levels of French in order to spread it out and to give students something to look forward to in each level.  I usually celebrate Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) in French II.  This year I explained a little bit of the history behind the holiday, showed a video of some of the parades in New Orleans, had students complete a Mardi Gras Maze and gave away beads to the winner, decorated the classroom, and made a traditional King Cake.  Here are some photos.





The King Cake takes a while to make and is not a simple process, but any doubt about whether or not it was worth the effort was removed when I saw this:


Translation for non-French speakers:  I love you Madame.  Thanks.
What teacher doesn't want to hear that?  :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Renee! What great ideas you have. Can I ask, what maze do you use?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour! I originally got the maze from a site called puzzlemaker, but have gone back to check it, and it wasn't there any more. However, if you do a google search, you can find others. I hope that helps! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog :).

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...