Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How to Use a Mannequin in Your Classroom #9: What to say at the doctor's office!

We've been learning what one might say at the doctor's office and how to describe pain in various parts of one's body.  So I've been using my classroom mannequin Jacques to help teach this.  I told students that Jacques was in the Tour de France last weekend (yes, I know it's not really held in March).  I also told them that it wasn't really Lance Armstrong who won the race...it was Jacques, of course :). 


Did you notice Jacques' really awesome, authentic maillot jaune (yellow jersey)?  I paid a lot of money for that... I saw it at a store in the mall once and I knew exactly how I'd use it!  I told students that Jacques fell off his bike during the race and that's why he's wearing bandages.



I acted out a conversation between Jacques and the doctor.  I played the part of the doctor, and the part of Jacques' voice as well!


Jacques told the doctor that his nose, mouth and arm hurt.  The doctor told him to take two aspirin and call him in the morning.  Students find these skits very entertaining and tend to pay very close attention to the conversation, which is, of course, all part of my plan.  Why not consider doing something similar in your classroom?  I guarantee you'll be pleased with the results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...